Why did I stray?

After a couple of years w/ the OP-1, I plunked down some cash for a Roland SP-404sx sampler.

After 4 hours, it went back in the box, and on its way back to the seller. Hear me. This was a hell of a wake-up call. As far as I’m concerned, once you’ve gotten your head around an OP-1, you’ll hate working w/ something as ungainly as the SP. All it has is storage. Most SP users stick w/ resampling, anyway, because they hate the SP Sequencer. And I can vouch for its horribleness. So that’s a non-starter. Fact is, there are a LOT of areas where OP-1 works better. Sampling live over playback, for one thing; the SP’s can’t. The process of chopping samples is so tedious and unpleasant, that it’s just an inferior experience.

I can safely say that the OP-1 is the only thing I want to use, ever again. I can turn out anything with that little doll. Hell, my MacBook may just as well be a dedicated OP-1 backup drive. Struggling with bug-ridden MPC Plug-ins in Logic is as ugly as work shoes, too.

After using the OP, then jumping in w/ other dedicated hardware samplers, the competition is just ugly & pointless.

That’s my love letter to Teenage Engineering.

I can confirm that. SP-404 has an awful UI, a lot of functions are hidden behind cryptic key combinations, that are neither documented on the front panel nor seem logical in any way. It can’t play samples chromatically, hell, you can’t even simply change the pitch (there’s an awful sounding pitch/timestretch effect). It’s good for firing one-shots and background loops.

I can confirm that. SP-404 has an awful UI, a lot of functions are hidden behind cryptic key combinations, that are neither documented on the front panel nor seem logical in any way. It can't play samples chromatically, hell, you can't even simply change the pitch (there's an awful sounding pitch/timestretch effect). It's good for firing one-shots and background loops.

Sure… But that’s what my $99 launchpad mini does with aplomb! Plus, the timestretch on Launchpad is incredibly great.

Same experience here. Spent more than 4 hours, but the 404 got sold quickly. Not for me.

I love the SP404sx for loop playback and FX on the fly only. I have produced loads of beats with a MPC as midi master/Ableton as slave sound module combo, export the looped stems (drums, main/bass, layer, acap), spread them on 4 SP pads and tweak it all live. Have a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ue9e2lhUH4

Brilliant experience. I have my mate add scratch and cut when we play live, even better.

From a production point of view… having been spoiled with the MPC/Abes set up I can’t be bothered with the SP. I never really gave it an opportunity tbh.

- Recently I have been looking into a live looping workflow with my MPC controling the OP-1 with the kenton midi/usb host. No sequencing from the MPC involved, just looping on the fly on the OP tape using the MPC pads…The tiny OP keys aren’t great for pounding drums. Received the kenton thingy yesterday but I didn’t have time to give it a proper try.

Tonight is the night.

PS: and back to topic, yes, OP-1 is crack.

I guess the standalone MPC’s were pretty great, but I hate… HATE the software.

Never tried the software, prob never will :slight_smile:

Can’t talk about 404 but the SP202 is the worst piece of hardware I’ve ever owned. 5v SD cards are hard to find and worth nearly the same as the device.

I’ve bought it because Clouddead recorded their first album with it but I’m still trying to understand how to slice a sample. Too weird.
If anyone is interested, I’m selling for 100euro :smiley:

I considered buying SP-404SX, but ended up buying KaosPad 3. Sounds like it was the right choice. KP3 is pretty good for live looping, simple and fun to use. The only annoying thing is that there is no way to punch in via a pedal or MIDI.

I haven’t used my SP404SX in ages but still have it (it’s what I started making electronic music with). Some of the effects on it are pretty good, but I keep it around in case I need something to play long samples when I want to save my OP-1 and Octatrack for other things. I’ve had a lot of fun playing back multiple loops at different lengths and running them through effects (usually through the Octatrack). You can get some nice evolving sounds this way since it will most likely take hours for everything to sync up again.

Glad I don’t have to make music on it anymore though. It was an invaluable experience since it really taught me to work with and around limitations. But yeah, the OP-1 is all you really need. I recently got a new audio interface with the hopes of getting back into using a computer, having everything routed through its own track in Ableton, but once I got it all setup I realized the workflow is as uninspiring to me as it was when I was using it five years ago, so back to doing everything within the OP-1. Making finished tracks within the OP-1 has its own challenges but they at least lead to results for me.

whatever works best for u is the best setup/device/workflow to use. i think that is the most important thing to remember in this vast landscape of gear, gas and marketing.

@docshermsticks - amen!

I love my SPs

Just spent 3 hrs trying to get down w/ a Maschine, and it only confirms my stance. I need the OP-1 workflow to be happy. From sampling to slicing to sequencing…

Just spent 3 hrs trying to get down w/ a Maschine, and it only confirms my stance. I need the OP-1 workflow to be happy. From sampling to slicing to sequencing....

That’s deep! I’m in the same boat. I have the Maschine Studio, Komplete and some Expansions but something about the workflow seems like…i dunno…work, lol. I’ve only had it for a few weeks but prior to that I had a Maschine Mk2.

I was excited about getting the Studio after N.I. released iMaschine 2 and felt it would be great to use along side the OP-1 and then be able to load the projects into Maschine Studio. Only problem is N.I. continues to cripple their products so much that it pisses me off to the point of not wanting to use them.

Your post about needing the OP-1 workflow gave me an idea. What if I got rid of the Maschine and worked with just the OP-1 and Ipad Air? With the release of Auria Pro the Ipad can effectively replace the PC/MAC DAW.

Just spent 3 hrs trying to get down w/ a Maschine, and it only confirms my stance. I need the OP-1 workflow to be happy. From sampling to slicing to sequencing....

That’s deep! I’m in the same boat. I have the Maschine Studio, Komplete and some Expansions but something about the workflow seems like…i dunno…work, lol. I’ve only had it for a few weeks but prior to that I had a Maschine Mk2.

I was excited about getting the Studio after N.I. released iMaschine 2 and felt it would be great to use along side the OP-1 and then be able to load the projects into Maschine Studio. Only problem is N.I. continues to cripple their products so much that it pisses me off to the point of not wanting to use them.

Your post about needing the OP-1 workflow gave me an idea. What if I got rid of the Maschine and worked with just the OP-1 and Ipad Air? With the release of Auria Pro the Ipad can effectively replace the PC/MAC DAW.

I have no problem with using Logic On my MBP for mastering & tweaking my OP-1 tracks. It’s the beatmaking and sampling that, on the computer, require a jumble of cables, peripherals and an audio interface, etc. I love my iPad mini for feeding the OP, but I prefer backing up w/ ease on the MBP. The WiFi hub to iPad backup method is a tedious affair.