Sound Battle! TE wants your sound!

Since initial release of OP-1 TE has updated the OS numerous times, adding new features and effects with each new version. They decided to produce a new collection of preset sounds, showcasing all sonic aspects and modulation capabilities of OP-1. This will include both synth patches and drum kits, totally refreshing the internal factory preset sounds and bringing it up to 2014 and beyond!

Action

This is an invitation to YOU to participate in the re-creation of the OP-1 factory sound library! We want to collect eight patches per engine. Are you a sequencing drum kit master? A keyboard virtuoso with extreme patching skills? Or perhaps a bass connoisseur with low end expertise. This is YOUR chance to shape the future and overall experience of the OP-1. No official compensation is offered and the content needs to be exclusively made by yourself.

This is a collective experiment and everyone is invited! New sounds will be collected, a selection will be made and the final result will become the new factory preset sounds in OP-1! Old factory presets will be made available through the Library, as a free, downloadable sound pack, and the new sounds will come preloaded with all new OP-1 units.

How to participate?

Create and save your sound in OP-1. For drum kits you can use the OP-1 Drum Utility if you want. Export it, name it and then upload it to us, along with some info about the sound, your creative process and whatever else you want to share.

Upload your contribution via www.teenageengineering.com/contact

Quality over quantity please so keep it elegant! Don’t flood us, send us your best!

TE wants to collect 8 patches per engine:

CLUSTER
DIGITAL
DNA
DR WAVE
DSYNTH
FM
PHASE
PULSE
SAMPLER
STRING
DRUM
DBOX

Preliminary Timeline

June - Announce plan. (This!)
July - Collect and sort content.
August - Finalize and release.

Gotta get on this!

Very cool, count me in.

At the risk of sounding like a n00b. Isn’t it a bit redundant to make new patches by tweaking the existing ones? Without deeper acces to these engines you can’t truly make a new sound, or am I missing something here?

@Erhenius: Actually the accessible parameters are everything there is! Every included patch was made changing just these parameters.

hmmm great, I just picked up my OP-1 and played with it… somebody hand me a big pointy hat with ASS written on it so I can sit in the corner. Bloody hell, this is embarrassing.

EDIT: to redeem myself I will try to make an awesome sounding patch for each synth.

lol @Erhenius no worries, I think we’ve all had to put on the “dumb ass hat” at some point.

Trying to recreate my ‘OP-1 Choir’ I’d made with DSynth… I forgot to save it =/

Hi People,

I’ll pop that hat on for a second and ask ‘we can use the effects in our sounds??’ They haven’t got to be ‘dry’ synths have they?

I think I can already answer it as the effect state is saved with the preset but I feel I should ask :slight_smile:

Given some presets already have the effect slot active, I’d say do as you like :slight_smile:

I wonder if TE can edit the now.teenageengineering.com post to reflect the new website?

I’ll tell them…

also yes I believe you can use filters.

Got some cool Synth Sampler stuff going tonight. Sampled six seconds of one of my Patchblocks droning away, pitched it down and threw Spring on it… sounds so nice.

I got started the other night - made about 9 patches but when I listened back to them the next day I realised a bit of a problem with some of mine. A few of them are designed to be played either at the high or low end of the register to sound ‘right’ and sound really quite different and bad if played in the wrong area. With the 10 character limit its impossible to put an instruction to ‘play low’ and any meaningful patch name and to a certain degree patches that need sustaining (ok so putting ‘hold’ at the end might be workable) but others come alive when you tweak just one parameter (say the blue knob) and the sound goes completely if you move one of the others - this situation is quite common with the new Dsynth in my experience as I find tiny tweaks can dramatically alter the sound in some instances and some are ‘set and leave’ for some sounds. I don’t think the patch saves the octave range either which could help.

I’m guessing it just means I’m a shit sound designer!!! lol. But if anyone has any ideas on any naming convention or ideas. I like the little info section on synths like Diva where you can put text about the patch but with the small memory on the OP-1, I wouldn’t want to waste space for future ‘devices’.

Hmm, I thought that the patch saves the octave? If I remember wrongly, then indeed it is a problem, especially for the DNA synth, since it sounds so radically different in different octaves!

I’ve just checked and it does indeed store the octave - could have sworn it wasn’t acting like that earlier!!! Maybe it just needed a reboot (or maybe I did :))

Thanks

I guess you’ll want to make sure your Master/Mixer FX settings are zeroed while you’re designing sounds.

I’ll be giving this a shot. Really wish that there were more params to tweak. Even something as simple as adjusting the curves on the ADSR would be welcome.

I can’t even begin to think where to start, making patches is very easy on this synth, more than any other I own, but finding something I’m passionately in love with has yet to happen. Mostly I’m still figuring out where between the madness and the bland sine waves I can find that balance with just enough quirk or twist… Mostly my choices seem to either be vanilla, or total chaos!

@soup… don’t understand the comment?!? you have LFO, you have ADSR, you have filters, you have parameters in the synth module, d-synth has 8 just in the synth page. all of it is free game!

I think that @soup wants to choose from different ‘curves’ on the current ADSR, i.e. logarithmic, exponential, etc @dimi3

ahhhhhh! thanks for the clarification never seen that on a synth, or at least never noticed it…