Is now a good time to buy an OP-1?

Just seen so many vidoes on youtube that it seems perfect for my creative needs. Limited space. All in one machine. I just have a few simple questions.

1. Its 5 years old. Does that matter/?
2. What is the latest firmware? I seem to find April a Beta that includes Arpeggio. Is the Beta now Alpha? (If not when.)
3. Do i need a good spec laptop and Daw like Ableton to get the best out of it? (Again workspace would be best if kept to a minimum so a laptop and music software).
4. If i buy from a store could you recommend one in UK?
5. Is it really as good as some of the youtube clips or have i been fooled by wizard composers? (steep or shallow learning curve?)

Thanks all :wink:

Five years old doesn’t matter, it’s perfect as what it is with all its limits. Newer faster processors don’t really help you making better music.

The Beta is still the Beta ; /

It’s up to you what speakers you use or what other equipment… You can make tracks only with the OP-1 even with the built in speaker and headphones.

It’s easy and intuitive, I recomment to join the battles to get everything out of the machine!

Go for yours!

Got mine recently. It’s as good as it seems, instant fun. If you want to use it for complete productions rather than fun sketches, I’d recommend pairing it with some kind of sampler/arranger, be that Ableton or something else. You can always export the 4 tape tracks to a DAW and do more work on them there.

Buy used if you want to save money, they’re built solid.

I’m not going to waste time reading this thread, no offence people, but there is never a bad time to buy an OP-1! Signing out…
Go for it, it will change your life one way or another, it is the tits.

Bought mine earlier this year. Best. Decision. Ever. I don’t know of any other, more recent product that comes close to the OP-1 in terms of functionality, usability, and of course design.

You have to be aware though that there are limitations that at times might seem random and frustrating (e.g. that the Pattern sequencer only has one screen with 16 steps). As stated numerous times by various users on this forum those limitations seem to foster your creativity though.

I bought mine a few months ago too and haven’t looked back since.

Got mine used 3 years ago. The battery is still solid ! Haven’t encountered any pb. Still discovering tricks and sounds today.
Amazing synth !

1. Its 5 years old. Does that matter/?
No. There won't be an OP-2 in the near future (if ever).
2. What is the latest firmware? I seem to find April a Beta that includes Arpeggio. Is the Beta now Alpha? (If not when.)
Latest stable is 14203. The Beta is pretty stable (according to reports in this forum). Newer OPs ship with an in-between version, that has a higher number, but same features as 14203. The next update (the finished current Beta) was scheduled for August, but obviously delayed, it should hopefully drop very s.o.o.n.

BTW: Alpha is before Beta and means that software is still under heavy development and is likely to malfunction. Beta is alias for testing stage, meaning it should be pretty stable but may still have some undiscovered bugs and quirks.

3. Do i need a good spec laptop and Daw like Ableton to get the best out of it? (Again workspace would be best if kept to a minimum so a laptop and music software).
You might need a PC for file backup and stuff, since the OP-1 does not have a session save/recall function. An Android device with USB OTG will also do the job, I'm using an old Samsung Galaxy II with Cyanogenmod when travelling.

The size and power of the DAW Hardware is not dependent on the OP-1 but on the requirements of the DAW software and at least the user. My DAW notebook is a refurbished Lenovo X230, also very portable, running Reaper DAW software.

5. Is it really as good as some of the youtube clips or have i been fooled by wizard composers? (steep or shallow learning curve?)
It's fun and easy to use, but you'll always discover new ways and tricks, because of the open workflow.

I think yes. There will be no OP-2 in near times and we’ll have an update coming soon!

1. i bought mine from Digital Village (dv247)
    5. No, unfortunately it’s full of bugs which severely limit its use alongside other instruments. It’s great for the limited workflow it offers but that same workflow ends in cliffs, from which the OP1 itself falls down crashing.
    3. You do not need any spec of laptop to use it, except to transfer your files. In fact I keep mine away from a computer most of the time since I overwrite and/or erase many sketches. Alongside a computer, e.g. if you clock it via Ableton, you might actually get some decent results out of it.
    2. The beta firmware has USB/sync/midi issues and on my OP1 occasionally it locks up the encoders until a reboot. The arpeggiator cannot maintain stable tempo for long, I feel it gradually falls out of sync with the tape. The tape/clock itself drifts too. Edit: when not connected to anything (usb), the metronome is pretty stable. I’m going through more tests to try to find where sync issues most often come from.

It’s a fun sampler/synth. There’s nothing else like it. That makes its workflow shortcomings (which TE could fix in a competent software update) all the more painful.

I think the op-1 doesn’t work well with other instruments theory might get blown out of the water by Bon iver’s newest cd but I haven’t heard it yet so I’m not sure. I’d say it is a perfect time to buy one. Such a refreshing instrument that can reinvigorate your creativity without kinda growing useless imo

I don’t regret buying one, it’s a great way of getting into electronic music hardware. I came to it from being a (really terrible) guitar player and appreciate that it combines a bunch of stuff into one sleek package.

It doesn’t do some stuff as well as others, but you just can’t beat its personality.

Sonically it works with other instruments just as well as any instrument will work with another instrument, really. I haven’t dived into connecting it to anything else via MIDI or whatever so I can’t speak to that.

I think this device is timeless. It lacks some features, but current package is definatelly a deal breaker. Dont treat this device like and iPhone, which comes out each year and there is actually a “good time” to buy it. OP-1 is a great device which will earn it’s place in history of electronic music, for sure. Even in years, it still will be a great music sketch pad.